300,000,000?

Oh God! I have not posted in twelve days. Truth be told, I didn't think there was anything with posting. The news blows! The only thing the news outlets want to talk about is the elections, the Foley fallout... and North Korea.

But one thing that has caught my attention - maybe for its silliness - we acheived (allegedly) 300,000,000 Americans as of today at 7.46 Eastern Time. I want to know who that person is! Is it an immigrant or a newborn child?

(Picture of the always handsome Anderson Cooper during his "300,000,000 Melting pot or Meltdown" edition of AC360 is from All Things Anderson. I myself love his expression in this particular screencap. Its kind of like he's aware that this is as schticky as I feel it is)

Seriously though, why are we sweating over our population rising to 300,000,000? Journalists have been doing stories on commute time, houseing costs, animal habitats, etc... There have been stories that talk about poverty, jobs and food shortages. I ind the last incredibly interesting since we A) export much of our excess food and B) we pay farmers to grow
less. So, that story is conjecture at best.

Poverty: Trying to get rid of poverty in a country where even if you have $5 in your pocket makes you better off than like 80% of the world is really pretty shallow. We are one of the wealthiest nations in the world and poverty is not a new problem. It should not take a milestone to initiate solutions for poverty but hey if it does, good. Really don't think so.

Now, employment is another thing. From what I know of economics, the market will grow to embrace the population. For as big as the economy is, jobs will be created because of the growth in demographics. I'm not sure how to explain it but it made sense in microeconomics class.


I want to bring up one last thing before moving on to other sundry items. We rank as the third largest country in world in terms of population. I decided to actually look at the current populations of the other two. Now everyone pretty much knows China is the most populous. They were at 400,000,000 back in the late 19th century. Currently, China's population is 1,313,313,317 which amounts to 20.28% of the world's population. India is the second most populous country with over a billion people as well and almost as many languages. They are currently listed as having 1,100,000,000 people but I'm sure its more already. In fact, according to population clock, 42,434 people are added to the population every day. Odds are that India will likely overtake China in numbers because it doesn't have the one child per household rule. not to mention, in India, it is important to have lots of children.

I find it interesting that their forms of government are exactly opposite. China's is an open economy, communist government. India is a secular Democracy. It has recently (like in the last two decades) opened its economy and privatized enterprises.


Well, after looking at the 1 billion plus nations, its put our paltry 300,000,000 into perspective. This is 4.58% of the world's people. I also did a little math and discovered that we add 7,854 (and some extra and slightly disturbing decimal points) people a day. So, we are never going to catch up with India. With all the scary problems with people growth, who'd want to?


CNN's
article on our impending doom.

Next on my issues is the Earthquake in Hawaii. This 6.7 magnitude earthquake is being treated as like a non-story. No one seems to care. To get any news on the earthquake on CNN, I have to dig through the US section page, go to the west part and there is only one article about damage to historic home. The lead article on that page was a woman who put her newborn child in trash bag (She got 5 years in prison, just so ya know).
Really, why are we not caring about this? Hawaii is insulated being well, ISLANDS, and getting in and out of there isn't the easiest thing. Hmmm.... Maybe it should have been caused by a plane crashing into an obscure condo....

I have to say this right now: I'm sick of the elections. First time I've ever said that. I'm a news junkie and I love politics. I also love election night. I usually sit watching CNN consuming every last bit of political news-juiciness. I've chewed off my nails for the last three in row because the tension - the heightened suspense - is so thrilling. But this year, I just want it over. However, the graphics and political cartoons are worth perusing. I won't hide the fact that I lean left. That doesn't mean I can never be right. I'm closer to being an independent voter who is left of center. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment