What Would Scott Cunningham Do?

My family and I are moving to Lakeville. Its not a huge move but it does come with a few changes.
  1. Gotta mow the lawn!
  2. New Phone #
  3. Living in a basement again! Eek! Spiders!!!
  4. Shoveling a driveway
  5. Switching to DSL!
  6. Switching to Satellite TV
I started looking at the channels we're getting with our new thingamajig. Among the channels are fourteen (14) religious channels. One is outright Catholic. Another is nothing but services from various congregations replayed including Catholic masses and Jewish services. The rest are outright cheesy to the extreme Protestant. Programming for the Crispy Christians.

Despite my cynicism, it got me thinking. There needs to be some alternative channels to all these Christian channels. Though, I'll admit, the plethora of Christian programming has a lot to do with the population of those who purchase satellite television. I can't find statistics to back up an assertion I want to make so bear with me. I'm making an assumption that most subscribers, or at least a bulk of the early ones, were in the Midwest, regions with a more independent libertarian philosophy, or the Crispies themselves who also happen to live in those areas as well. So, its no surprise that there should be that many religious channels. There are something like 4x that in Skintillating programming (misspelling intended).

I think there should be something of a new age channel incorporating Buddhism, Hinduism, Eastern Philosophies, Paganism, Theosophy and any damn thing we can come up with. It might be difficult to dream up content but there is enough out there already to get us started! I think it would be nice if Belief.net could get on this for all of us who aren't of the Abrahamic faiths. I'd watch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment